January. A new year, a new beginning and the perfect time to make some cleaner, greener New Year’s resolutions. We’ve always found it’s the small changes that make a big difference. Ours is to continue with our mission to both perform and promote sustainable practices, and improve these as much as we possibly can.
Did you know that…
- Every year, we throw away enough plastic to circle the world 5 times?
- Despite a ‘War on Plastic’ we recycle just 45% of plastics in the UK…
- That means 55% of all our plastic waste ends up in landfills or the ocean.
- This contributes to the 8 million tonnes of the world’s plastics that ends up in our oceans each year, creating a patch three times the size of France.
If all 7.8 billion of us took the “I won’t make a difference” attitude, let’s not even begin to imagine the environmental damage on our wonderful planet.
At Two Farmers, we want to do everything within our power to protect and preserve our planet. We all understand the profound and detrimental impact that plastic pollution has on the environment around us, particularly single-use plastic. This is why we made it our mission to introduce the UK’s first 100% plastic-free and compostable crisp packet. We hope we can inspire others to minimise their use of single-use plastic and have a few sustainable swaps that are simple substitutes and super easy to introduce into everyday life!
- Perhaps the most obvious… Crisps in compostable packaging to replace crisps in plastic packaging – Two Farmers
- Bamboo straws to replace plastic straws. Jungle Straws
- Bamboo cutlery instead of plastic cutlery. Sasstainable
- Reusable thermal cup instead of a single-use takeaway cup (most coffee shops give you a discount when you bring your own reusable cup too – win-win!). Bru Cups
- Beeswax wraps to replace cling film – much sturdier (and more aesthetically pleasing) than cling film too. Beeswax Wraps
- Bamboo toothbrushes instead of plastic toothbrushes. Bambuu Brush
- Recycled material, reusable bags to replace plastic bags. Kind Bag
- Reusable water bottles instead of plastic bottles. Ocean Bottle
- Shopping in zero-waste shops, support your sustainable, local businesses!
These only scratch the surface of the incredible plastic-free alternatives available that we recommend. Head to our Instagram page where we regularly share simple sustainable swaps and zero-waste shops! Give us a follow to stay up-to-date.